Thursday, March 16, 2006

what i wouldn't give to be bored

the last month has reminded me very much of why i left my old job--not having a life outside of work. i can't handle it. it's so depressing getting to work at 8:00 am (ok, usually 8:15) but then working through lunch, watching 5:00 roll by, still working at 7, deciding you want to leave but having to take work home with you, working till 11:30 or so, going to bed and doing it again the next day. i might feel differently about it if a) i got paid overtime or b) i got paid a better salary. and i would be happy with my salary IF i only had to work from 8:00 to 5:00 like i'm supposed to.

what's worse is that everyone in my office is this busy and they all seem to be ok with it. they just bite the bullet. which makes me feel even more terrible because i'm thinking to myself "how is it ethical to expect somebody to work this much without pay?" meanwhile even the owners are putting in overtime. to me, life's too short to spend every waking hour working. it makes me tired, it makes me unhappy, it really brings down my whole self esteem. not to mention that i'm in a creative field and my mind needs a freaking rest every once in awhile.

i guess the conclusion i have drawn about this industry is that it's always going to be like this. no matter who you work for. so even though i LOVE what i do, i might have to find something else because i just don't think i'm cut out for this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home