Tuesday, February 07, 2006

"you do what you have to do."

If anyone ever wants to get punched in the face by me, all they have to do is say in that condescending tone, "you do what you have to do." Holy crap, I hate that. I can't quite portray the exact patronizing delivery here, but if you've heard it before, you know what I'm talking about. And if you've said it before, then you're a huge jerk.

I was told this at work today because I had committed to participating in something over a month ago, but a project unexpectedly came up at work that apparently was more important than my prior engagement. Although everybody knew I had a commitment, my coworker put me in a really bad spot by basically forcing me to choose my job over this other thing. And he finished the conversation by saying, "Well, you do what you have to do."

*Me imagining punching him in the face.*

What really pissed me off was the fact that I felt like I was being treated as if I did something wrong. I mean, I know I'm a horrible person for wanting to follow through with something I committed to and everything... And what's worse is that I really could have handled the work situation when I got back from my other engagement.

Blah. Ok, I've vented. I feel better. Plus I will be drinking beer soon, which always helps with situations like these.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home