Friday, February 10, 2006

it's snowing, now it's sunny, now it's a blizzard.

In my office I have a window behind me and every time I have turned around today something different has been happening outside. When I first got to work it was sunny, then there were flurries, then the sun came back out, now there's a thick snowfall with giant flakes. I'm so confused!

I don't know about anyone else, but I really want to figure out what's going on with the weather—or have some really smart scientist figure it out and tell me. It's not just where I live either; it's the whole world. There have been unusual snowfalls and cold weather in Europe, unseasonably high tempuratures across the midwest, record hurricanes in the south, significant glacial melting in the north and I'm sure a lot more.

*We pause this post for a weather update: It's sunny again.*

Anyway, I really want to know the truth about global warming. After Hurricane Katrina there was a debate about whether or not it even existed, and it's difficult to know which scientists to trust. Are we the ones causing the greenhouse effect to be more ... effective? This week the Bush administration made what I think is an interesting move to study the potential endangerment of polar bears caused by their loss of environment. In other words, all of their glaciers are melting away causing a lot of them to disappear and there's speculation that global warming is a large factor in this. Not that the Bush administration would really do much about it if it's proven to be true, but at least it's a start.

So for all of you scientists who study climate, global warming, the environment and happen to read my blog, please figure out what's going on and what we can do about it. Especially because I just ran outside and built a snowman and it already melted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home