Wednesday, April 12, 2006

good friday

i'm thinking my idea of a good friday is a little different than jesus's. for starters, mine doesn't include a crown of thorns or some jerkface pretending not to be my friend 3 times*. rather it includes a beach, a hammock, alcohol, a day off and 85-degree warmth. so as i sit here freezing my ass off, i can't help but count the minutes until my mini vacation.

yesterday we--and by "we" i mean magnum and his dad--tore off our deck that was falling apart to prepare for the new and improved deck/patio to replace it. i'm quite excited to start landscaping and planting bushes and flowers and stuff. i'm pretty new at this whole thing, so if anybody has good recommendations for what to plant in the midwest, i'd really appreciate it. here's what all i'm looking for:
• pretty, low-maintenance bushes that don't have thorns (flowers optional)
• pretty, low-maintenance perennial flowers (yellows and reds)
• any other suggestions on how to make a backyard more inviting
and remember, there are no bad suggestions. except for the time someone told me i should watch Saw. but otherwise, there are no bad suggestions.



* what, too soon?

5 Comments:

Blogger JulieGong said...

"it includes a beach, a hammock, alcohol, a day off and 85-degree warmth."

I want this! I'll trade you Good Fridays. Please!!

8:37 AM  
Blogger scott c said...

Hey! You should watch Saw 2!

Ooo... bad suggestion?
sc.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Sexy Lexi said...

All my friends have off today and are laying by the pool drinking. Bitches.

4:33 AM  
Blogger Sexy Lexi said...

I don't know much about plants up in your neck of the woods, but what I usually tell people around here who ask me is to go to your local Home Depot or whatever and talk to someone there. They will most likely carry plants that are tried and tested, and if you tell them what you're looking for (size, growth, texture) they can usually point you in the right direction. Otherwise, do some research on the internet for midwest plants and I'm sure you'll find lots of resources that will help you. GOOD LUCK!

9:39 AM  
Blogger dub said...

scotty-
you proved me wrong. that is very bad suggestion.

lexi-
that's what i've heard from people around here. i just wondered if their advice would be be similar to a doctor prescribing the third-tier, overly expensive drug when the generic would work just as well. it was surprisingly after i posted this that i read your profile and found out you were in landscaping. thanks for the luck. hopefully i'll find what i'm looking for.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home