Wednesday, April 05, 2006

the 28-point hand

i saw something amazing this weekend. well, for me anyway. as a cribbage player of over 20 years i had the opportunity to witness my first real 28-point cribbage hand. this might not sound like much, but it's the second biggest hand in cribbage. the odds of getting it are 1 in 15,028. for you poker fans, it's kind of like seeing a straight flush.

the biggest hand in cribbage is 29 points, but i'm not really counting on ever seeing that since those odds are 1 in 649,740. again, poker fans, that would be more like seeing a royal flush.

it was my good friend's husband who got the hand. we were playing at this great little martini bar in GI. it was funny because when he laid his hand down, we all knew it was something good but it took us a little while to figure out just how good it was. i ended up getting skunked* because of it, but it was so cool i didn't even care.



*when the loser scores 61-90 points he is skunked and loses a double stake; if he scores 60 or fewer he is double skunked and loses a triple (or quadruple) stake.

3 Comments:

Blogger scott c said...

Double stakes? Triple stakes? WTF?!

To think a game I used to know how to play now sounds like a foreign language.
sc.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Woolly said...

I would like to point out that as a crib player and poker player. I can relate. I have gotten a Royal Flush in poker, odds are roughly 578,00 to 1. and my highest hand in crib is a 25. however my Nana has gotten a 29 hand. She got it at the Legion in game and beleive it or not it actually mad ethe paper!!

8:13 PM  
Blogger dub said...

woolly-
that's so cute that your nana made the paper for a 29 hand. and congrats on the royal flush! i hope you won some money on that.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home