Tuesday, April 22, 2008

yucky portfolio

lately i've been reflecting on my work as a designer, and when i mentally put together my portfolio of recent projects i get very disappointed in myself. everything i've done feels so uninspired and mediocre*. i haven't pushed myself like i used to, and neither has anybody else.

when i started out as a designer, i had so much passion and ambition. every project was an exciting new challenge of figuring out the best, most beautiful solution. i loved trying new fonts, colors, styles, printing techniques, and learning everything i could about my craft. now after about seven years in the business, i have already joined the ranks of seasoned designers who become jaded and worn by the industry.

client comments are simply the most scathing parts of my job. i can spend hours making something that was originally hideous look as good as possible, and the only response to it will be "i don't like that pea green color." oh, you mean this pea green color? the one that's in your approved color palette? needless to say, it's frustrating and multiple comments like that start to tear holes in my passion and ambition.

i also sorely miss my design mentor. my old boss pushed me really hard, and made sure every single project i did got to its full potential. he didn't let me be lazy and get by with mediocre work. my bosses now are great at many things, and i've learned a lot from them by observing and studying their insane talent, but i feel like i still need a coach to make me run that extra lap.

i wonder if i will ever produce something that i'm really proud of again.


*i just wanted to note that i got the spelling of "mediocre" right on the first try.

1 Comments:

Blogger Photography by Lara said...

First, YAY for spelling mediocre right. :)

Second, is the old boss Rob? I do miss his eyeliner. :)

Third, will I end every point with a smiley? That remains to be seen. But for now: :)

Fourth, you WILL do something you love again. It's the seven year itch! Whether it's a new job or new client, something will happen that will spark your creativity again. Maybe you need to design something for yourself ( Whiskey Designs! hint hint) or do a dream project (I heard Ryan Adams needs a new tour poster!) (not really, but it'd be fun to work on). I truly hate my job and dread coming to work every day, but then, I never had any love for it to begin with. You, at least, have/had passion for design. I'm jealous! :)

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home