Tuesday, February 03, 2009

from basic to css

in a strange coincidence of timing, i have temporarily become the main web programmer at my job. in a sick way, i love how linear and absolute it is. telling a computer what to do and getting results is a nice balance from the chaos and unexpectedness of life with a baby.
in high school, i somehow ended up taking a basic programming class — long before i even had an email address or knew much about computers. for the most part i sucked at it, but i remember one awesome assignment where we had to write a code that would draw something on the screen. of course i took this project a little far, having my program draw a sailboat at sunset with the sun reflection on the water and everything. my classmates' all drew some lame-ass circles and squares, but those people also understood loops and if/else statements, and are making a lot more money than me right now.
little did i know that my extremely limited understanding of programming would be helpful in my future as a designer/programmer. i don't think i will ever have the capacity to learn all that complicated back-end content management-type of crap, but being able to write simple lines of code here and there to make a web page look exactly how i want is pretty darn cool. and sometimes that little reward of figuring out how to properly float a div and fix an entire page layout is just the confidence boost i need to make it through the day.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lara said...

I *wish* I knew anything about it! I can look at HTML and sometimes figure out where things are coming from and change it to make it look kind of how I want, but I definitely don't know anywhere near what you do. I imagine it would be very, very satisfying!

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home